Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Be Interested in Others


A while back, my wife and I went for supper with one of her friends. It was someone she hadn't seen in a long time (several years). During that time my wife's life has changed significantly. She has changed jobs, moved countries, and gotten married to name a few things. We spent a couple of hours with her friend visiting. The entire time we talked about him. He told us all about his life, job, and relationships. Not once did he ask about my wife's life, her job or her move. Not only that, but he never asked questions about me - someone he had never met. Now thankfully my wife and I (especially my wife) are good at asking questions, so we actually had things to talk about the entire time (well he had things to talk about.... ).

How would you have felt if you were in our place? Chances are you would be a little surprised and disappointed. My wife's friend didn't show any real interest in her at all.

If you want to win friends, develop good relationships and a network, one of the most important tips is to be interested in others. Ask questions, learn about them, and show genuine interest in who they are. Following this tip will go a long way towards success.

Danny

No comments: